Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Relax, it's Summertime!


There are a lot of songs going through my head that ring up under summer cliche but somehow none of them seem to capture the joy that summer can evoke.

The southern half of our country can probably start rolling their eyes now, but nothing is so sweet in the Midwest (or "North" if you're of the new school) as the warm scent of grass and evaporating rain climbing through your open windows.

It's overwhelming to try and do everything-- the picnics, the parties, the relaxing -- it all takes time, commitment to being organized and frankly can be straight up stressful. And although I wouldn't trade being exhausted by the endless on-the-go that summer brings, fall is often a welcome respite.

But instead of wishing away one of my favorite seasons, I'm going to try and squeeze in a few extra hours into my days specifically for myself so that the next few months don't seem so daunting.

  • Aside from trying to train for the half, I want to read more books. I'm considering converting back to paper but audio books are perfect for road trips (of which I have many) and they have been a great treat during my runs (don't worry Queen Bey still makes her usual appearance during the jaunt).
  • I want to start cleaning out my closet (again). The purge feels so refreshing and kind of freeing to get rid of pieces that don't fit you 'just so'.
  • Of course, I want to be great about my training for the race. And I think this will be a great way to learn some discipline for the sake of learning.
  • I want to start building up my barcart. As a former bartender, it seems foolish not to treat yourself to one great drink at home every once in a while. Obviously wine is amazing but there's something special about whipping up a drink and sipping it in your pajama pants. Does that count as a life hack?
  • I want to go on a road trip to find the perfect Midwest seafood. After #KChohandJCoDoNO my heart still aches for the brine of a fresh oyster or the sharp kick of creole seasonings. I won't settle for the fact that fresh is the only version of best-- not with all the amazing chefs and restaurants popping up in the city like hotcakes (see what I did there?).

I just made up that last one but I think it's important to have goals that aren't too serious. It gives the others perspective and you something to look forward to. No love lost if I don't find the perfectly tasty seafood treat between ND and WI but I can at least enjoy the thrill of the hunt. (Think: California Dark Beer Tour 2009).

Side note: I'm thinking of taking my food adventures on the road and investing in a camera to capture all their glory. What do you think?

What will you do to keep sane in these seemingly crazy summers?

No comments:

Post a Comment